Common names: Moringa, Drumstick tree, Horseradish tree, Ben-oil tree, Miracle tree
There are 13 species and the most famous are the following two: Moringa Oleifera & Moringa Peregrina ( which have become very scarce).
Moringa's popularity is expanding all over the world and is Declared as the “world’s most useful tree,” by Science Daily (Mar. 14, 2010).
With its high tolerance to arid regions with poor rocky lands and very low water supply could brig a good news for farmers in those regions and due to Its multipurpose products, could be used in Food & drug, Clinical Medicine, Cosmetics, Farming, Animal husbandry, Water Purification, Horology, Shipbuilding, Bio-diesel fuel And Aerospace industries.
Moringa plant from Moringaceae family, since thousands years ago have been used by human beings. Avicenna (A Persian Polymath) and Juzjani (The Persian physician) almost 1000 years ago mentioned the tree in their therapeutic documents. An amazing story is documented in history about the only time Alexander the Great was beaten in battle. In India 326 BC, over a two year period and around sixty battles he was defeated by the Maurian (Maurya Empire) . It was recorded that they fed on a liquid Moringa diet that gave them almost super human strength as they needed little sleep and they never got sick and their wounds healed rapidly and in the end they wore Alexander’s army out.
Why do they call Moringa Tree the Miracle Tree?
There should be a specific reason that they call it Miracle Tree, More than 700 scientific research proved that, all parts of Moringa plant have medicinal effects and till today no plant on earth could compete with its nutritional value.
- with over 90 Nutrients and 46 Antioxidants is one of the Richest known natural source on earth.
- It can prevent over 300 diseases.
- 100 g Moringa Dried leaf contains 25 times more Iron than Spinach (28 mg), 17 times more Calcium than Milk (2000 mg) ,15 times more Potassium than Bananas (1300 mg), 10 times more vitamin A than Carrots , 9 times more protein than Yoghurt (over 27 g of protein), 36 times the amount of magnesium in eggs, 50 times the amount of vitamin B3 in peanuts, and 50 times the vitamin B2 in bananas and its fresh leaf contains 7 times more vitamin C in Orange.
- One Moringa tree is enough to feed a child for 1 year and cover all nutrient requirements.
-It can grow in tropical and subtropical regions with very low water supply and reaches up to 3 meters with in the first year. (Moringa Peregrina Can survive with less than 30 mm annual rainfall and also in hyper arid environment which is known as the best choice for desertification ).
-One crushed seed of Moringa seed is able to purify 250 ml of Muddy water with 99.99% disinfection potential.
Its called Ben oil due to 3 reasons :
1-1000 year ago Avicenna (Ibn-Sīnā) The Persian Polymath and Juzjani The Persian physician called it “Ban” in their therapeutic books.
2-Its taken from the Persian calendar month of Bahman (Jan-Feb) which is it’s harvesting time .
3-Due to high concentration of Behenic acid
-Its the most qualified oil in the world
-It’s 20 time more valuable than other Oils econimically
-Due to it’s very high stability & Quality have been used in Food & Drug, Cosmetics, Perfume, Bio-fuel, Shipbuilding, Instrumentation, Horology, Aerospace industries .
-Due to its light smell, Therapeutic effect and great quality is a excellent carrier oil for aromatic compounds.
- Moringa oil with high content of oleic acid (>70%),in which the methyl esters (biodiesel) obtained from this oil exhibit a high Cetane number of approximately 67, that is the highest found record for biodiesel fuel."
Moringa Oil Therapeutic Effects:
- Extremely rich in phytonutrients (http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/phytonutrients-faq#1)
- Anti-bacterial, Anti-fungal, Anti-viral
- Anti inflammatory
- Hair rejuvenation
- Cures cuts, burns and rashes
- Arthritis Treatment
- Liver Detoxification (Decrease ALT & AST Level)
Moringa Root Therapeutic Effects:
-Evidence-Based Scientific research showed that, Moringa root can cure Ovarian Cancer .
Moringa leaves and roots contain significant quantities of substances known as Isothiocyanates and Glucosinolates, which can fight against Ovarian Cancer.
-Scientific research showed that Moringa Root Extracts (MRE) can cure kidney stones by increase the excretion of calcium and phosphorous from the kidney also more studies indicate that it can improve kidney function.
-Analgesic & hypnotic effects of Moringa roots have been studied and showed to be effective in patients with insomnia. Surprisingly Helped them with quality and duration of their sleep.
MRE became now one of the ingredient of choice in pharmaceutical remedies for sleeping disorders
Moringa Aqueous extract is proved as a strong Anti-inflammatory:
According to the Scientific research which is done by Dakar Med in 2002 and published in
Pubmed (one of the main reliable sources ), in which they have tested the anti-inflammatory Action of an aqueous extract of root in rats and compared it with Indomethacin anti-inflammatory Action. The result of the study indicate that and aqueous root extract of Moringa Oleifera at 750 mg/kg Reduces the carrageenin induced Oedema to similar extend as the potent anti-inflammatory drug indomethacin.
To be continued ....